Junic Eye Care – Low Vision Services in Canberra
The Junic Low Vision Clinic was established to address a need for people with low vision challenges in Canberra. The primary aim of the Junic Low Vision Clinic is to maximize the visual potential of people with low vision to achieve greater independence in their day-to-day lives.
Important Note: the services we offer are different (albeit complementary) to the ongoing care provided by your current optometrist and/or ophthalmologist in Canberra.
At Junic Eye Care, our low vision services involve:
- Evaluation: Identifying which program suits the client and what are the client’s visual goals.
- Vision Assessment: Visual functions assessment through tests and techniques adapted to fit the client’s visual impairment.
- Eccentric Viewing Training:
- This is a program available for clients to make full use of their remaining vision, despite having central vision loss. “Eccentric viewing” can be achieved by mapping out a client’s field of vision and identifying appropriate off-centre gaze positions to make use of other intact areas of their visual field.
- At Junic Eye Care, the MAIA Macular Microperimeter is used to assess the integrity of the macula, as well as identify viable areas of the retina and appropriate gaze positions for eccentric viewing.
- 1-2 hour training sessions will be scheduled (typically 1-2 times a week) for six weeks. The first session involves a discussion of personalised vision and lifestyle goals to tailor the direction of the training sessions. These goals are in the areas of activities of daily living (often called independent living skills), computer use and advice.
- Recommendation for environmental modifications if needed.
- Low Vision Devices: A variety of magnification devices, both optical and non-optical, will be introduced based on the client requirement (with the sole aim of improving visual function). At Junic Eye Care, we supply a variety of these devices (handheld magnifiers/stand magnifiers/electronic magnifiers) and have partnered with Humanware (as a distributor in Canberra).
LOW VISION REFERRAL:
Please download, print and email the Referral form by clicking the button below, or submit a referral online via the form below.